Thursday, March 6, 2014

Best of Times, Worst of Times

So everyone seems to do a throw back Thursday, except for me, apparently.   But today, is different.  Today, I'm feeling nostalgic.  And homesick for my friends I knew back behind the Redwood Curtain.  I was feeling this way last night as well when I decided to peruse a friend's podcast blog, The Futile Podcast.  Ian's podcast is mostly him chatting with various friends about a certain movie or television show, so I get to hear a lot of familiar voices and even participated in a few myself.   I know a big draw for me to these podcasts is mainly sentimental.  I miss Ian.  I miss the people he talks with, the ones I know.  I miss hanging out around a bon fire at his place with my former classmates and working over movies we've seen and shows we watch.

That last memory is one of my favorites, perhaps because Ian's guard was down for once.  Twice he told me, "just move back, dear."  And I was ready to say "OK", drop everything, and move back.  But life gets in the way.  My guy broke up with me, so for the first time since moving, I let myself be in Seattle fully.  And now the thought of uprooting myself again is hard, no matter how much I miss everyone I left behind.  And so, my eternal (and very selfish) quest to convince everyone I love to move closer to me continues, if in vain.
  
All in all, I know these things we talked about weren't deep, heartfelt discussions about the meaning of life.  And maybe they aren't the stuff that "real" relationships are made of, but I miss it all the same.  And I miss the people even more.  So here's to you, Ian.  Thanks for bringing everyone together over a little microphone.
And I say to you, just move up, dear.

A Futile group circa 2010 (Ian's the handsomely stoic one in the chair)


With that, here's a podcast Ian did with me about my one week adventure with Hannah in Egypt three years ago.  It's a longer one, almost 45 minutes.  But if you have some cleaning to do, it could make for something fun to listen to in the background.  Pretend you're listening to Terry Gross interview someone more interesting then myself.

Futile Bonus: Mychal's Egypt Trip



2 comments:

  1. That's a great picture. Even if Malcolm pretty much completely refused to acknowledge my existence the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least I don't have to worry about that anymore.

      Delete