Friday, March 14, 2014

Soul Food

Ah, if music be the food of love, etc.  I'm not the biggest fan of that ideology really.  I get downright sick of all the stupid love songs that fill the world.  I really think that's why I'm such a big fan of Tom Waits, for who else sings about murders and midgets, circus freaks and small change, the land of the blind and horse-face Ethel.  But that's besides the point.

Music is food for the soul, though.  There are pieces in particular that, like a big cup of tea, act as a balm for me.  This one in particular.  Barber's Adagio for Strings.  No other piece elicits quite the same visceral reaction from me.  Every time I listen to it, not just hear it but listen, I get the usual suspects.  Goosebumps, shivers up my spine.  But in addition to this, it will literally bring tears to my eyes.  Every damn time.  I think one day, it won't affect me anymore, but that hasn't come yet.  And it's the steps building up to the climax that brings the tears, not the mountaintop itself.  It's the journey that brings the emotion, and as the strings near the climax, anticipation takes over and I lose sight of the climb as I wait to see if the strings will make it to the top.

They always do.  I needn't worry.



No comments:

Post a Comment